Few things are more refined than taking high tea on a front porch of the Devon Inn in Devon, Pennsylvania, and watching a horse show on the front lawn.
Such has been the tradition at the Devon Horse Show since its inaugural event in 1896. Ever since, spectators have come from afar to take in the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair, both of which have expanded in grandeur, size, and popularity. One thing has remained though, and that’s the fine experience of watching the beautiful horses and sampling delicious snacks throughout a picturesque afternoon.
The volunteers of the Devon Horse Show have created Appetizers at Devon to honor their century-long legacy and raise funds for maintaining historic stables, which were built when the Fair’s first food booth’s appeared as well.
Along with contributing to a timeless cause, Appetizers at Devon is a wonderful book for entertaining any sort of soiree. Chapters include:
- Beverages: Enough punches and concoctions to cool down any warm afternoon. The Devon Julep features bourbon, white crème de menthe, and vodka. Its enjoyment shouldn’t be limited to only the Devon Horse Show.
- Small Bites: A perfect bite to savor while socializing, although it may be hard to put down the Scallop Cakes with Cilantro Mayonnaise.
- Canapés, Crostini and Sandwiches: The best thing about bite-sized delicacies like Mango Crab Snacks, Curried Tuna Canapés, and Tenderloin Tea Sandwiches is you can sample all the savories and maybe go back for seconds.
- Stuffed, Wrapped and Rolled: Foie Gras Stuffed Dates, Goat Cheese and Pancetta Tartlets, and Crab and Artichoke-Stuffed Mushrooms are as classic as the horseshow itself.
- The chapters for Spreads, Dips, and Soups, offer additional fine-fare recipes that will impress the most elite crowds.
Appetizers at Devon: A Collection of Recipes from the Devon Horse Show and Country Fair (ISBN: 978-0-9798665-0-0; $19.95) is available directly from the Devon Country Fair Office at www.thedevonhorseshow.org, or by calling 610-525-2533.
The Cookbook Marketplace is the Distribution Division of FRP Books, Inc. Since 1961, Favorite Recipes Press has specialized in helping non-profits and independent publishers from around the nation create, distribute, market and sell award-winning cookbooks. Favorite Recipes Press is an Imprint of FRP Books, Inc. and a member of the Southwestern/Great American Family of Companies. Learn more about FRP Books, Inc. at www.frpbooks.com.